The Authority was designated a Regional Centre of Regulatory Harmonisation under the African Medicines Regulatory Harmonisation (AMRH) Initiative of the African Union and the NEPAD Agency in 2014, offering training and services for new and seasoned regulators from national medicines regulatory authorities (NMRAs), regulatory affairs personnel from the pharmaceutical industry, and people from academia. The areas of ReCoRE designation included:
i) Medicines Registration
ii) Pharmacovigilance and Clinical Trials
iii) Laboratory Testing of medicines
The MCAZ ReCORE Mission
To provide world class Medicines Regulatory Training Expertise so as to ensure affordable, quality, safe and efficacious medicines for the African Continent.
The MCAZ ReCORE Vision
To have an adequate pool of knowledgeable well trained medicines regulators for Africa and to grow the MCAZ brand through the RCORE activities.
Goals/ objectives of the MCAZ ReCORE:
• To ensure that Africa has access to safe, quality, efficacious and affordable medicines through regulatory excellence (overarching goal)
• To nurture and develop technical and managerial competencies to ensure effective medicines regulation in Africa.
• To build and develop the same competencies as stipulated in the NEPAD RCORE Framework at MCAZ as a pilot and use the pilot as a solid example
• Provision of academic, technical and managerial training to regulators and analysts on this regulatory function;
• Skills enhancement through hands-on training, twinning and exchange programmes among National Medicines Regulatory Agencies (NMRAs)
• Implementation of national / regional programmes in support of coordinations of activities between official medicines control laboratories
• Exchange information on work programmes to optimise the use of expertise, laboratory resources and analytical data available
Last Updated: 29 January 2019